[Foundation-l] OLPC: A dictionary for all children in the world

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Wed Oct 4 07:53:21 UTC 2006

Good morning!

At the beginning I was really hesitant to propose this project on these
lists - for the simple fact that it could be seen negatively by some,
but: it is for a good cause, it is Open Content and it is about a
Wiktionary, even if a very particular one.

WiktionaryZ is building the contents for a multilingual dictionary for
all children in the world - all languages are welcome and that's why
this message does not only go to the wiktionary list, but also to
others. Not all projects have wiktionaries and maybe this could be also
their first start into lexicology for their very specific language.

I would like to remind you that the data you provide can be re-used by
your local wiktionary, also uploading it whith the bot, once we have the
dump to be provided to OLPC.

Please find below the original text re. the co-operation. To
participate, please create yourself a profile on http://wiktionaryz.org,
add your babel template and read about the DefinedMeaning
(http://www.wiktionaryz.org/DefinedMeaning). Then tell us or on the wiki
or in the chat ( irc://irc.freenode.net/wiktionaryz or
irc://irc.freenode.net/wiktionary ) we are present in both of them.

If you happen to be in a university or in another adeguate place and
have the possibility to put a print-out of the project description on
the notice board, please send me a short-mail I will happily send you
the pdf. Doing this results in better co-operation with all projects,
since people, who maybe did not consider wikis before do their first
edits. The reason why we ask people to send us an e-mail if they are
interested in contributing is simple: we want to take them by the hand
and show them how to do things. Working on a wiki is not so obvious and
simple as it might seem to us who do it every day.

I will also try to go around the village pumps of the projects to post
the message - of course: you may help me with that - it would be great
:-) I am going to update the project page in English during the day:
http://www.wiktionaryz.org/OLPC_Children%27s_Dictionary - if you have
put the message on your wiki, could you pleas leave a short note on the
discussion page for the project?

Thank you so much for your time and attention and have a wonderful
wiki-day :-)

Sabine

*****
*A Multilingual Dictionary
for the Children
of Our World

*

*One Laptop per Child* (http://laptop.org) is a non-profit association
with a mission to develop a low-cost laptop—the "$100 Laptop"—a
technology that could revolutionize how we educate the world's children.
Our goal is to provide children around the world with new opportunities
to explore, experiment, and express themselves. The laptops are a unique
learning tool, created expressly for children living in the world's most
remote environments.

*The WiktionaryZ Project *(http://wiktionaryz.org) is developing an
open-content dictionary in every language of the world. We are working
with the University of Bamberg to identify relevant word lists and
develop needed applications for managing them
(http://www.uni-bamberg.de/). We are working on a dictionary for
children, to be included on the OLPC laptops.

*You can help!*

Please donate a few minutes of your time to improve the translations and
definitions of *10 words*. Your contribution will reach millions of
children in the world.

To participate, visit http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Translations , or send
an e-mail to:

*kids at WiktionaryZ.org*

(Please list the target languages into which you can translate English –
*all* languages are welcome. You will receive a return e-mail with
instructions about which words to work on and how else you might be able
to help us.)

*Thank you so much for your help!*

/Sabine Cretella/

/for the co-operating team/

p.s. Would you like to know my personal dream? Having that dictionary,
or at least a huge part of it, ready in many languages by Christmas ...
it is just three months ahead of us ... can you make it as well your dream?

Image by: http://laptop.org <http://laptop.org/>, licensed under
Creative Commons Attributions 2.5 license
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/).