[Foundation-l] Sexual harassment in Wikipedia

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 04:58:06 UTC 2006

[snip]
> legality of the activity, and it is not our place to start making
> judgements about legality.  Civil rights and free speech are important,
> and if it means having to tolerate occasional idiotic speech that's a
> very small price to pay.

We're past due for another line in WP:NOT:

Wikipedia is not an anonymity service.

Generally we work to increase the privacy of editors because it is the
ethical thing to do and it furthers our interests.
When someone attacks our users with frightening threats of violence or
otherwise behaves in ways which are obviously harmful and malicious we
should disclose their information as appropriate for the protection of
our users and the betterment of our community... and this is for the
same reasons as the above: it is the ethical thing to do and it
furthers our interests.

We are under no obligation to provide protection to people who wish to
cause harm to others.

Although a certain degree of "thick skin" is required for us to avoid
wasting time on every idiotic troll, this would appear to go far
beyond the line.

Fortunately the ideas I've outlined above are already well served by
our stated privacy policy.