[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Nov 20 01:46:48 UTC 2006

James Hare wrote:

>Anyways, in that case we would have the Board of Trustees, the Advisory
>Council, and the Wiki Council. Three councils. Why should we have three? Why
>couldn't we compress it down to, oh, 2?

They would serve different purposes.  As I understand it

The Trustees would pretty well do what they do now.  This is essentially
deal with the business, legal and financial interests of the organization.

The Council would be made up of active Wikimedians, and could be
involved in the detailed co-ordination of projects in a way that best
assures and balances with the autonomy of each project.  It would have
limited decision making power within pre-defined parameters.

The Advisors would mostly not be active Wikimedians.  They would help to
keep us abreast of developments in the broader community, help in
co-ordinating with outside projects, or even with lobbying.  They would
have no decision making powers.

Ec