[Foundation-l] Foundation logo : pain and suffering

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Nov 17 01:00:25 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 11/16/06, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> The photo of the sunflower, and the crop thereof, are certainly
>> copyrightable. My question would be: What exactly do we lose if we
>> trademark only the name "MediaWiki", and make no attempt to protect
>> the image?
>>

> People selling T-shirts with the logo on outside wikimedia and OS
> events? Someone useing it as the symbol for their softwear? There are
> various potential issues.

I can't speak for the entire board, of course, but I think that Erik,
Anthere, and I at least have all weighed in during this thread to say
that at the very least, for the flower logo which is part of the default
install of the software, at least these board members are of the opinion
that this is very different from all the other logos, and one which we
have never had any interest in protecting or defending.

If we wanted to have a logo for mediawiki which is defendable, I suppose
we would want to get a new one, because this one has been declared
completely free of restrictions for so long that it is really not very
defensible I think.  And anyway, we have no interest in doing that.

If people want to make tshirts with the flower logo on it, and sell
them, I doubt very much if at least these 3 board members would mind one
bit.  That's sort of what the point was of the decisions made in the past.

--Jimbo