[Foundation-l] [Advisory board]: appeal for members suggestion

florencedevouard anthere at anthere.org
Tue Nov 7 13:03:55 UTC 2006

A few months ago, the board of the Foundation passed a resolution
regarding the creation of an advisory board.

You will find the copy of this resolution at the end of this message for
your information.

Time has come to populate this advisory board.

This has been discussed a few times already on this list, but now, what
we would like from you is to be more specific. We welcome your input on
who should be approached to be added to the advisory board. Please be
*realistic*.

If you have a name to suggest, please
* Send it by email at my address (fdevouard #AT# wikimedia.org), and
keep the subject line (for email sorting purpose)
* Mention the name of the person
* If possible, add a couple of links to this person biography (for
famous people, Wikipedia will do :-), for less famous, Wikipedia might
do as well..., for others, blogs, personal websites, user page...)
* shortly (few short sentences at most), the reason why you think this
person would bring to the organisation (try to be specific)
* the cream of cream would be to add a contact (email for example)

I'll report these suggestions on the board wiki, and these will be
discussed during our next (irl) board meeting end of november.

Thanks in advance

Florence

--------------

THE litterature

Whereas the board considers that an advisory group could be a tremendous
complement to the effectiveness of the official board of directors,
committee and staff

It is hereby resolved that: the board of directors agree to create an
advisory board to serve as a valuable complement to the staff and the
board of directors. The advisory board is a group of individuals,
appointed by the board of directors for the purpose of offering advice
and support on a wide range of issues relevant to Wikimedia Foundation.
These issues are likely to include areas such as partnerships, public
relations, financing, technology, administration, international matters
and more.

Appointments: Appointment should be done with a majority of support from
members of the board of trustees. Appointments should be planned to
implement a well-balanced advisory board that should be used effectively
to bring a number of important benefits, among them: Contacts,
Expertise, Perspective, Prestige, Strategic Input, Financial Investment.

Duties of the Advisory Board: The advisory board will not generally get
involved in issues that involve the administration of the non-profit
organisation and should, as a rule leave such matters to the board
(governing board). However, it will up to the board and the advisor, to
agree the range and extent of duties to be performed by the advisor.
Every advisory board member should have a charter of what they’re
expected to bring to the organisation.

Compensation: Advisory board members will not be financially compensated
for their activity.

Length of Service: Advisors will be appointed by the board of Trustees
for one year, renewal being possible.