[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon May 1 20:21:00 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The works I see us dealing with here are religous
> works, goverment works, and manifestos of political
> groups etc.
[snip]

Repeat after me.
ND licenses do not prevent misrepresentation.
ND licenses do not prevent misrepresentation.
ND licenses do not prevent misrepresentation.

If you are relaxing copyright holders fears of misrepresentation by
suggesting ND licenses, you are lying to yourself and possibly to
them.

It is acceptable in a free license (under any common definition) to
require that works be correctly attributed and not fraudulently
mislabeled.

If someone is going to edit the words of another in an effort to
misrepresent the original speaker, they will still do so no matter
what license the work is under.

Here you are just making another argument to reject ND licenses: they
are often preferred by people with unrealistic expectations, and whom
are thus likely to cause problems when those unrealistic expectations
are shattered.