[Foundation-l] wiki search & wikimedia foundation collaboration with Limewire and Yacy ?

thomasasta at gmx.net thomasasta at gmx.net
Sat Dec 30 16:25:25 UTC 2006

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:10:08 -0500
Von: "James Hare" <messedrocker at gmail.com>
Betreff: Re: [Foundation-l] wiki search & wikimedia foundation collaboration	with Limewire and Yacy ?

> Wikiasari will be a service of Wikia, not Wikimedia.

yes, you posted this already, and I got it now,
though Angela refused this seperation of foundation and wikia, after your mail:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-December/012721.html
That´s why I used the foundation list again in CC.

Anyway, then let´s concentrate on the search-l of wikia, though I think it is wrong to have the foundation not in the boat. Then the new search engine has nothing to do with wikipedia and then the media hype is not understandable. Is Jimmy then a freerider of the wikipedia lable ?

Earning money with wikia (search) riding on wiki and wikipedia/ wikimedia-foundation is then like ... dunno how to compare.. but possible.

>From the content view it is time to have an open source engine and I do not understand, why wikipedia community should be not participating in this, a common or a similar project.

I think it is not ok, that the wikipedia community think wikia-search is from wikipedia and they support the profit interest of wikia by free work, which resuls in a search engine, which is free, but not open source (maybe the search engine is open source coded, but the database has to be payed as a free, but not open source software). Jimmy speeks freely of a licensed engine...

Kind regards. tom