[Foundation-l] new site notice now ready

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 20:29:47 UTC 2006

On 28/12/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 12/28/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/28/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> > > You shouldn't buy another 300 servers in the first place.

> > What a great idea.
> > When will you have your implementation of "distributed mediawiki" completed?

> It's already completed.  I just need you to transfer over the domain names.

whuh??? Project page?

Your post actually started me thinking on this. A Freenet (for
encryption and to avoid a [[:en:trusted client]] problem) or
BitTorrent (for convenient distribution with a program lots of people
have) method of distributing Wikipedia. A peer-to-peer network with
WMF as the only body supplying content files. The downsides that
spring to mind are (a) doesn't work through any old web browser (this
is a big one) (b) trusted client problem (how to ensure rogue clients
don't redistribute corrupted content in our name).

- d.