[Foundation-l] new site notice now ready

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 28 09:12:29 UTC 2006

On 12/28/06, Oleg Alexandrov <aoleg at math.ucla.edu> wrote:
> It is of course very nice of Virgin Unite to match the donations
> received today. I would argue however that having a logo in the
> site notice is basically an advertisement for Virgin.

The common usage of advertising is "to announce or praise (a product,
service, etc.) in some public medium of communication in order to
induce people to buy or use it: to advertise a new brand of
toothpaste."

We are not announcing or praising a product or service; we are not
selling a message. We are thanking a large corporate donor.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik