[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Dec 25 00:30:08 UTC 2006

George Herbert wrote:

>The conflict here is being exaggerated.  There is only one reason for there
>to be a "showdown" here - if SUL is right around the corner and we haven't
>had time to think through the implications for the en.WP policy and come to
>agreement on how to deal with those.
>
>If SUL is right around the corner, with all due respect to its importance to
>the project as a whole and its importance in development, can it be held off
>long enough to discuss appropriately and develop a reasonable global
>consensus?

If SUL is just around the corner, so too is some as yet undiscussed
controversy about it.  Some time ago the delay was over what to do when
different people had the same user name on different projects.  The
current dispute was never mentioned then.

When en:wiktionary moved to case sensitive first letters in the title of
articles there were a few who were ready to whine and bitch as much as
they had to to prevent it.  Suddenly it was implemented.  Some
opportunities to make the transition an easier one were lost, and that
did inconvenience many of us who nevertheless supported the change.  But
it had to be done.

There has been strong support for SUL for a considerable time.  If it's
technically ready let's just do it.  The inconvenience of a handful of
vandal fighters can be dealt with later.

Ec