[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation's help to the projects

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Dec 24 01:52:04 UTC 2006

Michael Snow wrote:

>Erik Moeller wrote:
>

>>On 12/14/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I don't believe you understand how useful it would be
>>>to just have some one say "That particular case is
>>>unknown.  The most similar case to this is Foobar."
>>>Even if there were a table of questions that people
>>>have asked in the past with yes/no/unknown and no
>>>futher advice would be extremely helpful.  I think it
>>>a false expectation of yours that we are expecting
>>>clearcut answers.  Really we have been mucking through
>>>copyright questions as best we can for some time; we
>>>are all well aware there are often not answers only
>>>arguments.  Just being able to eliminate some
>>>arguments as invalid would be very helpful.
>>>

>>Aside from the potential issues with the WMF "officially" giving such
>>advice to the communities, Brad (our GC and ED) simply doesn't have
>>the time to do this. Let's brainstorm about how we can get juriwiki-l
>>going, i.e. a functioning, community-driven group of advisors with
>>demonstrable legal expertise.
>>
>>At the moment juriwiki-l is configured so that postings from the
>>outside are moderated and replied to by a group of insiders. Is there
>>any real issue, from a legal point of view, with making it a public
>>mailing list? This is perhaps something Brad can answer.
>>

>In the context of rethinking the various internal, private mailing
>lists, I'm not sure whether it will be considered appropriate to
>continue juriwiki-l in its present form. As Anthere noted, the list is
>not all that active at present. However, it has had sporadic use and a
>variety of sensitive subjects were discussed there with an expectation
>of confidentiality. So I would strongly oppose simply converting it to a
>public list and making the accompanying archives public.
>
>If a public list dedicated to legal issues is thought desirable, it
>should be launched separately. We had wikilegal-l before, but that too
>dwindled into oblivion.

I agree with Michael that sorting out the confidentialities of the past
juriwiki list would require a delicacy that may exceed the value of the
results.  Even if an investigation showed that making the information
public would do no harm, I don't think that I for one would gain very
much by ploughing throw an old archive.  If a mailing list is the
appropriate forum for pursuing these matters, it should likely be a new
list.

It remains to be seen whether there should be two such lists, one to
deal with copyright law, and one for other legal questions.  No-one will
dispute the complexity of copyright law and its importance to attaining
wiki goals and objectives.  This branch of the law receives likely as
much attention here as all the rest put together.

I believe that we should be attentive to the law, but I also believe
that nothing is accomplished without pushing the boundaries of the law.
I believe that the law, and especially copyright law, is seldom a matter
of black and white, and that there is a huge mushy middle of unsettled
issues where actions could as easily be judged legal as illegal.

The Foundation should absolutely not put itself in the position where it
will be liable for the misbehaviour of members.  This includes liability
for copyright infringement.  In conflict with this is the goal of not
only using free material, but of making material free.  Under a strict
reading of the law orphan works are not free, but they may nevertheless
be free if there is nobody there to own the copyrights.  Copyright law
was developed by and for those who believed they had rights to protect.
Those who published with no concern for these rights, or who saw only
short term benefits in them view them at most with benign indifference.
Most would be delighted than anyone would be at all interested to
reproduce their early work of that of their ancestors.  Even more of the
work is not worth republishing.  The risk and responsibility for dealing
with this must be assumed at an individual level.

There are at least two reasons for maintaining a restricted mailing
list.  Confidentiality is clearly one that needs no further
explanation.  Another would be to encourage getting things done.  We
can't all do everything.  Too often on mailing lists we hear gripes
about some proposal, but asking the complainer for better alternatives
produces only silence.  Anthere has occasionally and rightly expressed
her frustrations about this.  People want to participate in decisions,
but they can't.  This is not because there are others to prevent their
participation, but because the daily pressures in their own lives act as
a restricting force.  When their personal time table only allows them to
participate in one of two decisions they must choose, and leave others
to deal with the unchosen one. This can be a very difficult choice for
some, and the rest of us cannot be kept waiting while they cling to the
vain hope that someday they will have the time.  It's a serious dilemma
in democratic institutions that want to make the maximum effort to have
everyone represented.  There are others who are very happy to take
advantage of such a loophole.

Can we have a semi-restricted mailing list?  The purpose of the list
would be to find solutions to copyright dilemmas.  (That we are here
discussing it in relation to copyright law would not prevent this
technique from being applied for other lists with different purposes.)
Full membership in the list would be limited in number.  Read-only
membership would be much larger.  If the list reaches its arbitrarily
established membership limit, a new "list2" could be started with
similar restrictions.  List2 members could then move to list1 when there
is a vacancy.  Preset criteria, including prolonged absence, could be
established for dropping people from the list.

Ec