[Foundation-l] Throwing some data onto the flamefest fire (was: English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 22:13:27 UTC 2006

On 12/23/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Overall there are fewer then I expected.. but there
> > are not all that
> > many in the blocked list that don't look like
> > vandals... so..
> > ::shrugs::
>
> Please be fair here.  Which of my 20 looked like
> vandals?  How many non-vandals do you need to see to
> acknowledge that people are being blocked just for a
> non-latin username and not vandalism?  How many do you
> need to see that are blocked with no edits to agree
> that automatic blocks are happening to non-trivial
> degree?  There were plently left on my list when I
> stopped at twenty.

I'm not claiming that there aren't valid users who have been blocked.
You showed quite clearly that there are... (although there have been
some vandals there too, some of the 'valid people' are blocked for
vandalism on their home projects! :) )

I was only saying that "There are fewer active users with non-latin
names than I expected" but then balencing it with the fact that "The
overwealming majority of the non-latin blocks are not to good users
being blocked for using their names".  I'm not denying that some
improvement wouldn't be good.