[Foundation-l] Throwing some data onto the flamefest fire

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 21:30:27 UTC 2006

On 12/23/06, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
> There have been several non-latin characters accounts blocked even
> before the user had a chance to write something. I know which evidence
> you need. And denying it won't make the problem disappears.

In fact, there have been many hundeds blocked before making an edit.
But the overwealming majority were cleary made either to be cute or to
cause trouble.

When you say automatic within the context of things that happen on
Wikipedia I usualy think of automatic in the "Capable of operating
without external control or intervention" sense (per Wiktionary).  The
blocking is not happening without control or intervention, as
evidenced by the fact that there are quite a few non-latin names which
are editing and are not blocked.

There have been blocks of accounts using real names with non-latin
characters, but I think that should be avoided in favor of interaction
like this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%8A%D1%80_%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2