[Foundation-l] when uploading pictures to commons ....

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 20:39:25 UTC 2006

On 12/23/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 12/22/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> > James Hare wrote:
> >
> > >I know it sounds tempting, but the "Crash my computer" button on Commons
> > >will just have to not be clicked. :)
> > >
> > >In other words, if you know an image is large, as in very very large, don't
> > >click on the full-size version link.
> > >
> > Sounds like blaming the victim.
>
> Sometimes the victim is also the one at fault.

Remember that the problem is *not* the size of the image: I can open
with no problem 10000x10000 pixel images. But a complicated .svg file
can freeze Firefox for a long time even if it is smaller. And the only
information one can gather from the image description page is the
image size, which is useless in this case.

The actual fault is in Firefox's plugin. Neither the user (who
shouldn't be concerned with these kind of things) nor the image author
(which is trying to do the best possible image, and should be praised
for doing so) are to blame. That no browser, to my knowledge, is able
to open complicated .svg files without bringing even good computers to
their knees is unfurtunate, but I see no easy solution.

Alfio