[Foundation-l] Automatic username transliteration for SUL

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 17:26:24 UTC 2006

--- Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> [oops, resend]
>
> On 23/12/06, Gary Kirk <gary.kirk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Look in Special:Preferences, it is displayed on
> the first tab. But I
> > have no idea what, if anything, it is used for.
>
> Interesting. Well, it shouldn't be hard to make it
> unique across the
> entire project - prepend it with "en-wp-" or
> "fr-wikt-" or "commons-"
> or "ja-ws-", arrange for it to be generally visible
> somehow, and then
> we have a ready-prepared unique "barcode" identifier
> for people to use
> in whatever manner they find appropriate.
>
> I'm not sold such a use is needed, but making those
> numbers visible to
> the user shouldn't be an impossible patch for anyone
> who feels
> inclined, and your infrastructure is there and
> waiting for you.
>
> (And, even without this modification, we *will* all
> get unique
> cross-project identifiers just as soon as SUL goes
> live, so...)

I have a modified proposal based on the above.  If we
could be give a new option a Special:Preferences to
chose how we wish to have idenities displayed in
histories, RC, block logs, etc. either by this
existing number of by selected username.  That way
those who prefer to see a number they can always read
can do so and those who dislike equating people with
numbers do not have to.  Since all the templates used
in warnings etc use PAGENAME parameters the editor
will be refered to as his selected name even whether
the person placing the template can type it or not.
Signatures will identify people who are actually
communicating and some  desired policy can be placed
on the kinds of fonts allowed in signatures.

Birgitte SB