[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:55:20 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/12/22, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com>:
>
> > Users who've done 1,000+ edits on Korean, Serbian, Chinese, Inuktitut
> > etc WPs are not the users we are afraid of here, Gerard.
>
> They may not be the ones you are afraid of, but they ARE the ones that you
> are blocking.

Yes, at the moment.  You won't find many people on this list defending
that policy.  You will find people on this list who think that policy
demonstrates a very real problem.

I see users from en.wikipedia who are acknowledging the problems that
current policy causes.  I see users not from en.wikipedia who are not
acknowledging the problems that SUL causes.

SUL is not a panacea, and it does have side-effects.  Now how about
finding some way to manage these problems, rather than blind,
unthinking en-bashing?

--
Sam