[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:46:26 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> No other WMF project has as many resources as the English language
> Wikipedia does. No other project gets as much attention from the
> developers. No other project does as well as a result. No other project
> can therefore withstand the constant abuse from vandals as successfully.

One senses that here lies the real reason so many people are bitching
so much about en.wikipedia -- jealousy.  Users of other wikis see all
that the Foundation and the developers devote to the English Wikipedia
and ask why that can't come to their efforts too.  Perhaps they see
the intense media coverage that the English Wikipedia gets and compare
their own coverage unfavourably.

> However, this does not mean that might is right.

No.  Obviously.

> It also does not mean
> that arguments used that are in opposition to some of its policies can
> be ignored as is currently happening.

I don't see this happening.  I see a lot of English Wikipedians who
are trying to find a way to resolve the problems that SUL could bring.
 I don't see anyone on this list ignoring the opposition or the
arguments, just people who are trying to get a rational discussion on
the subject.

> With the improvements
> that have happened like the prevention of mixed script user names and
> the upcoming the SUL the arguments for the practice of blocking non
> Latin users on sight have been largely removed.

Nonsense.  All that has been changed is that the sledgehammer policy
currently in use is now outdated and overblown and should be
*modified* to take these considerations into account.  The arguments
for the practice have not changed; the arguments against the practice
have been strengthened, however, and that's a completely different
kettle of fish.

--
Sam