[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 20:14:10 UTC 2006

On 12/21/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam Korn schreef:
> > This is more of the "big, bad English Wikipedia" mentality that
> > pervades this discussion.  En.wikipedia does not have vigilantes who
> > want to block all people who use usernames in foreign character-sets.
> > En.wikipedia has very dedicated vandal-fighters who sometimes cross
> > the line in how aggressive they can be.  This is unfortunate.
> > However, there are real concerns that you are completely ignoring.
> Hoi,
> When the line is crossed, why should it not have repercussions ?

No, when the line is crossed, there should be solutions, not
repercussions.  There needs to be an understanding of *why* the line
has been crossed and a solution that takes that into account, or at
least acknowledges the issue.  I am certainly not ignoring the issue
at hand.  Are you sure you're not?

> Calling
> this unfortunate is akin to completely ignoring the issue.

I'm English.  Understatement is what we do.

--
Sam