[Foundation-l] Automatic username transliteration for SUL

Jerome Banal jerome.banal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 16:19:35 UTC 2006

2006/12/21, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:

> David Gerard schreef:
> > On 21/12/06, Neil Harris <usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> >> And, as I keep on saying, the addition of the correct fonts to the
> >> user's browser does not magically grant the ability to read or even
> >> recognize characters in scripts that a reader is unused to. ("His name?
> >> It's three little boxes, and in the boxes there are a lot of little
> >> straight lines, apart from the ones that are like little hooks or
> >> squares. In the leftmost box, there's a bit of a gap at the bottom
> left,
> >> and then there's a sort of hooky bit hanging out at the right of the
> >> middle box, which has a few less lines, and then...")
> >>

> > Obviously, with SUL any en:wp editor who does not learn to read all
> > other scripts used on Wikimedia is simply being a cultural
> > imperialist.
> >

> > - d.
> Hoi,
> There is at the moment a big row brewing over the way the Internet
> insists on having URLs in Latin script. People who do not write in Latin
> have to use Latin to be able to use the Internet. This notion of being
> able to enter URLs in your own script is really intuitive. When this
> change is going to be implemented you will still be able to access the
> websites that will no longer be available with a Latin script.
>
> It will be a big change when it happens, this issue raised about the
> insistence of the English language Wikipedia is a harbinger of many more
> issues that will come.
>
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

Hi Gerard,

Sorry just a short comment, maybe I misunderstood your statement.

Actually (or at least, it was the case a year and a half ago), you can have
URL in non-latin scripts. I have spent some time working in Seoul and all my
colleagues were daily using URLs written in hangul (the local script). It
was indeed a big surprise for me as I thought it was not possible, and I was
glad they had this capability.

Cheers,
Jerome