[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 07:22:31 UTC 2006

Me too. Without context translation is impossible. A dictionary entry
gives you a several candidates - two or three. Sometimes over ten.
Over twenty. So "with merely a dictionary" have no sense in mose
cases; without context we cannot decide which of those ten candidates
appropriate in our case.

Jusists may not face such situation, since they are already given
implicit context. Technical terms are normally free from such. But it
is not our case.

On 12/21/06, habj <sweetadelaide at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/12/18, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com>:
> > Most of it
> > should be possible to translate with merely a dictionary.
>
> I must warn against this attitude. Hardly anything can be translated
> with merely a dictionary, lacking context. If one tries, one ends up
> with a certain percentage of errors which sometimes just look a little
> funny and sometimes look very bad.
>
> /habj

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org