[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 16:31:24 UTC 2006

Neil Harris schreef:
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> Neil Harris schreef:
>>

>>> Gerard,
>>>
>>> The problem does indeed occur symmetrically, and while I phrased my
>>> reply in terms of making non-Latin names unambiguous on
>>> native-Latin-script Wikipedia editions, you might want to re-read my

>>> -- Neil
>>>

>> I can only say that I disagree.
>> Thanks,
>>
>>       *ゲラルド・メイセン*
>>

> Gerard,
>
> Given that you disagree with both of my suggestions of possible
> solutions for the script-incomprehensibility problem, perhaps you could
> suggest a better solution to the problem, preferably one that does not
> involve the users of every Wikipedia learning to be literate in every
> writing system supported by Wikipedia?
>
> -- ኒለ ሃሪሰ
Hoi,
There is no solution that suits both of us. I disagree with the stance
that people have to change their name in order to accommodate. When
people are happy to do that it is ok. When they are forced to do this it
is not ok. The key is that the user uses ONE script and is allowed to be
him or herself. Given the amount of people around there is no chance for
you to know if someone is ok even in Latin. You will have to check their
talk page and/or edits. This applies here as much.

I did not react to the number game because I utterly dislike it.
Remember, this is the Wikimedia Foundation where people are allowed to
edit anonymously, and you propose to reduce people to numbers.. :( We
are talking here about people from other projects. These people that
also go to the English language wikipedia should be treated with respect
and not with suspicion.

When you need a signalling system that someone is probably ok, then you
can think of all kinds of metrics that could be applied. Reducing people
to a number is ugly, requiring people to change their name is ugly.
Creating a system with metrics is ugly. To me it is the best of a bad
bunch. The saving grace of metrics is that it can be applied to everyone
with equal justification.

Thanks,
    GerardM