[Foundation-l] Oversight rights

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 13:30:49 UTC 2006

> The effect of an inappropriate release of checkuser data is an
> irreparable loss of privacy. I wouldn't go so far as saying that a
> carelessly performed checkuser could be life threatening, since if
> your life is on the line over any websites ability to protect your
> privacy thats your mistake.. but it is clear that often the result of
> a mistake made with checkuser data can not simply be undone.
> As such I don't think we should get in the practice of considering
> oversight a more sensitive privilege than checkuser.

The way we do it on en:wp is that the arbitration committee says who
gets either, and those with checkuser and oversight tend to be
arbitrators and ex-arbitrators.

That is: what Greg points out is true, but in practice if someone's
considered sufficiently trustworthy then they're likely to have either
job land on them.

(We tend not to have a lot of crossover between the
AC/checkuser/oversighter pool and the bureaucrat pool; I think only
Raul654 is both on en:wp.)

- d.