[Foundation-l] when uploading pictures to commons ....

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 14:20:03 UTC 2006

On 12/18/06, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
> That is not the point.
>
> IS there nobody here who understands that we make this project for all
> the people out there! Not to satisfy our own geekly lust to pursue the
> latest fashion in computerelectronics and programming.

We don't otherwise the site would be built rather differently.

> *It is not about me being able to view this or not*. It is about the
> many many people out there who do not have the latest gear installed on
> their computer, nor will they install the latest gear on their
> computers. But it seems that plea is falling on deaf (wo)mens ears here.
> And it seems with these kind of answers to me that we are just making
> this project for the computersavvy 1% of this world population.
>
> Do we really need to be the trendsetter like with .svg??????

There are times when vector graphics are the best option.

> And with
> that exclude the majority of the internetters, including those in the
> countries that we say we set out to help in the first place? Or should
> we follow the herd so we can have a product that the fast majority of
> the people can use? I thought the wikimediaprojects were about the last
> one. We should not be the trendsetters in these areas. Because that
> means nobody can use it.

You only see the SVG if you chose to downlaod it.

> You are talking about being better supported in a couple of years
> Briana. Ask yourself the question do you want people to be able to use
> this graphics *NOW *or in a couple of years?

People can use it now. If you need to see the full size file and have
browser issues one method would be to download it and open it up in
inkscape.

> Also putting warnings up is strange. Why put them up. Like I said in my
> initial mail. These graphics are *USELESS *when viewed as a thumbnail.
> They might just as well not be there.

We have some very large raster images which also require warnings.
--
geni