[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation's help to the projects

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 18:02:14 UTC 2006

On 12/13/06, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
>
> > 2. Helping small projects. It seems that some projects have a difficult
> > start. Indian languages projects are my first examples. I will go to
> > India in January, and I would like to use this opportunity to recruit
> > new contributors. The Foundation could help coordinate this kind of
> > recruitement.
> >
> Isn't this in the domain of Special Projects Committee resp. its
> 'language' subcommitee?
> >From
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special_projects_subcommittees/New_languages
>
> The Wikipedia Foundation Special projects language subcommittee is in
> charge of (...) supporting and coordinating new projects to optimize
> their success.

Hoi,
The language sub committee involves itself in particularly technical things
that are related to languages. In the past there have been projects adopted
that are fundamentally wrong because the scope of that project is not in
line with what it advertises. Also we have had projects started where the
name of the language is squatted by something that may be close but is not
that language.

When new projects have technical issues, we will try to find a technical
solution. It is for instance only recently that I learned that one of our
existing language projects is missing glyphs in UNICODE so it cannot even be
properly shown ...

Thanks,
   GerardM