[Foundation-l] [Wmfcc-l] Fundraising start

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 14:04:19 UTC 2006

On 12/16/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:

> Yeah, that seems perfectly fine to me.  Actually I'm surprised it was
> the *anonymous* donor people would be worried about.  Personally I'm a
> bit wary of the non-anonymous donors being listened in
> sitenotices---someone paying money to get their name on the top of all
> Wikipedia pages for a time (as "thanks", naturally) sounds awfully like
> the functional equivalent of them buying ad space, only with the quid
> pro quo more implicit...

If my memory serves me correctly, the issue with the sponsor for
Wikimania being anonymous during the bidding process was that some
people were worried about whether they would be able to verify that
the bid did actually have the backing of the sponsor. That isn't
really applicable here.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com