[Foundation-l] Gender issues, a short analysis

rfrangi at libero.it rfrangi at libero.it
Wed Dec 6 00:38:54 UTC 2006

[snip]
> In sum, female participation in the german wikipedia seems appallingly
> low, however we find a slightly higher ratio of women in "higher"
> ranks like admins, jury members than the overall participation numbers
> would suggest.
[snip]

I did a very very quick check on the italian Wiki.

Admins: 8 out of 71 are female (11,3%)
Bureaucrats: 2 out of 5 (40%)
Check Users: 0 out of 3 (0%)
Board of WMI 1 out of 5 (20%, but she is the chairwoman)

Regarding sexist remarks I can't remember any relevant episode, nor any complaint by women. The fact that I don't remember doesn't means that it never happened, but being pretty active on it.wiki pratically from the beginning, I'm confident to say that is not a problem. I will ask to the ladies on it.wiki their opinion anyway.

One consideration. In my experience, whenever computer are involved, be it my class at University, workplace, Wikipedia, or spending the evening playing with PlayStation with my friends, the female population drops to 20% of the total.

It has been like this in the last 20 years. I don't know why this happens, but there are chanches that this percentage is endemic.

Roberto (Snowodog)