[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:12:26 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> Michael Snow wrote:
>
> > You think trying to make a joke excuses comments like that?
>
> One problem with open and unmoderated mailing lists is that the
> preferred way to respond to stupid messages or insults is with
> silence.  If everybody who disliked the message would protest,
> like Michael did here, the list would be flooded.  And if any
> single person protests against every stupid message, that person
> might end up dominating the list, like someone who doesn't know
> how to moderate themselves.  (Like those who argue about
> Wikipedias in certain languages that begin with M.)  Open mailing
> lists offer no good way to express sympathy with a protest.
> Instead there is a strong incentive for sensible list members not
> to protest against offensive messages.

There is, I think, a strong argument that notes such as Michael's
should be sent *privately*, rather than to the list.  Certainly on
occasions -- and I think this could be one of them -- it can be useful
to emphasise a remark like this, especially as it is in the context of
the greater discussion.

But generally, if you want to invite someone to deport themselves
better on a mailing list (or indeed on a wiki), it is much more
friendly and likely to get a better response to send them a private
email.

--
Sam