[Foundation-l] [Wikichix-l] Moderating an open list

ATR alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Tue Dec 5 14:25:36 UTC 2006

It does not amaze me, does the average Wikipedian really
care about fundraising or the WMF budget? No, as long
as they can post comments about sexy issues most people
are not going to want to get involved with such "grunt"
issues like fundraising or budgeting issues or policy;
that is why most NPOs need to better appreciate
volunteers who are willing to dedicate their time to
essentially work for free for an organization like you
Florence.  That is much more important than arguing
over WMF hosting any issue specific list which may
be very important but not something that should drain
the WMF resources any more than any other association
of Wikipedians that use wiki pages to start some
kind of issue specific group using Wikipedia resources
(such as the Association of Members Advocates or
the Harmonious Editing Club). None of those groups
ever asked for a WMF mailing list, they all use IRC and
various wiki pages to continue their discussions. It would
seem to me that if WMF started allowing subgroup
mailing lists like Wikichiks all kinds of other mailing lists
would by necessity quickly proliferent and it would become
just as big and resource draining as something like
Yahoo Groups.

Alex T Roshuk (en:alex756)