[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 11:54:57 UTC 2006

On 05/12/06, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. I thought having an open but moderated list would be a good way
> to go, but now I see it would just be impossible. Why the aggressive
> resistance against an additional resource for women? Why is the idea
> so threatening? How does it harm anyone? And how can anyone tell,
> given its two-second existence?? Why not let it be for six months, and
> then we might be able to comment with some substance on what the
> effects of its existence actually are?
>
> Women will continue to take part in the existing channels. Gender bias
> and discrimination issues will continue to be relevant to the existing
> channels. Given these facts, how is an additional channel
> segregational?
>

> Credit where credit's due: thanks for your considered and thoughtful
> Snow, and Tim Starling.
>
> "There is no problem." Please. Have another bloody look at some of
> seriously can't see why some women might feel uncomfortable
> contributing. Tell me again why offering them a gentler introduction
> to Wikimedia mailing lists is such a terrible idea.
>
> Were I to even begin responding to each inappropriate comment or
> unfounded assumption,  I would soon be doing not much else. And I am
> reluctant to develop to reputation as a harpie on women's issues. It
> is by far not the issue I am most interested in when it comes to
> Wikimedia (but I am interested in a good many things).
>
> Therefore I make a request to considerate and thoughtful men
> everywhere, to help call attention to and discourage sexist attitudes
> and assumptions expressed in Wikimedia wherever you find them. If you
> find yourself hesitating to reply publicly because you don't want to
> "feed the trolls", consider sending the author a private reply. We can
> use peer pressure to let "bad apples" know that their attitudes are
> not shared or welcome. But also consider what message will be
> understood by list lurkers, by not replying at all.
>
> Why do I address this call-to-arms to men? Because it's far harder to
> be dismissive of a man calling sexism for what it is, and this job
> falls to all of us, not just women.

Well, many of the objectors are aware there is a problem, but desire a
less prejudicial solution.

I oppose sexist and bigoted comments. Indeed, because I oppose sexism,
I oppose the creation of a list which is closed to one of the genders.
I think the best solution would be to have a "WikiChix" mailing list
open to people of both genders. Better yet, a civility-based moderated
mailing list which isn't based upon generalities concerning either
gender.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)