[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 20:54:58 UTC 2006

--- Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/4/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Honestly the
> > way a woman can contribute in places like this by
> > overlooking all the subtle sexism.  By ignoring it
> and
> > pretending it is not about her.
> [snip]
>
> If, at some point in the future, we were all able to
> sit by and fail
> to notice a sexist comment flow by our screens
> because it is so
> foreign to us that it lacks all meaning.. then I
> think this would be a
> grand day indeed because it would signify the true
> death to sexism.
>
> Bigotry doesn't die when we simply avoid using bad
> words or statements
> because we know they are unacceptable, it dies when
> those bad words
> fail to make the slightest sense to us.

I don't think this is about what anyone would
recognize as bigotry.  It is about the fact the women
are not finding a way to participate here in
significant numbers.  Does that fact that there is not
overt bigotry involved make this an acceptable
situation?

> [snip]
> > If anyone who attended the Board Q & A at
> Wikimania and can still think it is not a serious
> > problem after witnessing the entire room laugh at
> dismissive comment which nearly brought > me to my
> feet in outrage
> [snip]
>
> It has been some months, and in that time I have
> forgotten many
> important things. So please do not consider my lack
> of memory of this
> comment as evidence of my opinion on the importance
> of the comment.  I
> simply do not remember what you are talking about,
> could you please
> refresh my memory and aid all who were not there?
>

>From the transcript although listening for it on the
audio recording would be more useful.

<anthere> may I ask a question to the room?
usually I travle, and b/c they support it.. I have 3
kids and have to take care of them, so it's not
considerd to be an expense
I just want to point out tha tI exaclty nyubmered the
cost for me to come here and have my child taken care
offor 3 days
I think it's the sam efor you : $285 for the 3 days,
my ost of my particpiation
tis is the sam e each time I travle. this isn't
conisdered a cost; that's all.
<alih> actually if you look on the blog, danny was
taking care of your baby, so the wmf is paying fo
ryour baby sitting
<laughter>

BirgitteSB