[Foundation-l] [Juriwiki-l] Commons reuse FAQ updated

ATR alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Mon Dec 4 01:23:19 UTC 2006

Generally speaking logos are trademarks, they may not be "registered"
trademarks
with the USPTO, but they are still protected by "common law" (droit commun,
comme
le droit coutumier) even if statutory protection has not been afforded, and
even if
someone else files to use those as trademarks WMF can then oppose their use
if
they can prove that the foundation was using that logo as a trademark prior
to the
filing of the third party. I think the issue is: are all marks (logos,
wordmarks, or any
other trade dress that might identify WMF projects and activities)
copyrighted by
the foundation, as it seems to me that there is a controversy about who, if
anyone
owns the copyright of some WMF logos (such as the MediaWiki logo) are they
public domain (since they are generic) or are they GFDL/CC (as that is what
every
author agrees to when they upload their content to WMF servers. If the later
is
true the question is: does fair use under trademark law constrict the rights
granted
under any open source license that might allow copying, but not in relation
"in commerce" use of the mark or under any applicable "anti-dillution" law
in
any relevant jurisdiction that might apply if someone uses these marks in a
way
that confuses end users or consumers as to the origin of any work that uses
the
logo.

Alex T. Roshuk