[Foundation-l] [Found>, > This conversation had jumped back and forth from single-instance expenses , > (eg. babysitting costs) to much larger issues such as speakers fees. With the , > number of speaking requests pouring in to the Foundation (and they come in at , > an ever increasing rate), I want to suggest the following guidelines for board , > members and others giving talks about the Foundation. Much of this is based , > on my belief that it is possible to say no to speaker requests too. We are , > big enough to set the terms by which we offer to send speakers, and the , > benefits of participating in various conferences etc. should be weighed against the , > real needs and interests of the Foundation. My proposal is as follows., > , > 1. Requests for speakers from the Foundation will be approved by a , > subcommittee of the Communications Committee to be known as the "Speakers , > Subcommittee."., > 2. The Speakers Subcommittee will determine whether and how fulfilling the , > request furthers the goals of the Foundation. This will be called Speaker , > Objectives., > 3. The Speakers Subcommittee will then determine whether the Speaker , > Objectives are equal or greater to the costs involved in sending a speaker to the , > event., > , > 4. The Speaker Subcommittee will then determine which representative of the , > WMF is best suited to deliver the talk, based on considerations of language, , > geography, skills, conference needs, availability, etc., >, > 5. Basic costs for speakers will include , > a. transportation, > b. per diem (hotel, food), > c. ancillary (babysitting, formal wear such as renting a tux, other), > 6. The Speaker Subcommittee will negotiate with the requesting organization , > to ensure that they cover as much of these costs as possible. Should the event , > be deemed worthwhile, but the requesting organization is unable to cover , > these basic costs, the Speakers Committee will determine a budget for the , > speaker to participate., > 7. The Speaker Subcommittee will also request an honorarium, to be paid to , > the Foundation, for providing a speaker., > 8. A calendar of speaking engagements and speakers will be maintained in a , > public space, such as wikimediafoundation.org. , > 9. Only speakers approved and appointed by the Speakers Subcommittee will be , > entitled to speak on behalf of the Foundation in such public forums and to , > make use of Foundation property such as logos, registered tm's, etc. in their , > presentations., > 10. Upon completing their speaking engagement, speakers will provide a , > written report to the Speakers Subcommittee in which they describe whether and how , > the Speaker Objectives were met., > 11. The written report will include a summary of the talk, major questions , > asked, and a copy of handouts, PowerPoint presentations, etc. as necessary., > 12. These materials will be made easily available to other speakers so as to , > enhance their own presentations., > 13. Upon completing their speaking engagement, speakers will also submit any , > receipts for *approved* expenses., > 14. Upon submission of receipts, the written report, and ancillary , > materials--and only upon their submission--the speaker will be reimbursed for any , > out-of-pocket expenses., > , > While this may seem bureaucratic to some, I believe that it is a common , > sense approach to dealing with the growing influx of requests for speakers that , > the Foundation is facing. It will help us to avoid what Mr. Merkey wisely , > called "poaching speaking engagements, " and ensure that previous experiences as a , > speaker are shared with others., > , > Rather than dwell upon what happened in the past, let's move forward by , > improving this initial proposal and submitting it to the Board for vote., > , > Danny, > , > , > _______________________________________________, > foundation-l mailing list, > foundation-l at wikimedia.org, > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l, >ation-l] board, babysitting, speaking engagements, etc.

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Aug 12 14:52:12 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
>  7. The Speaker Subcommittee will also request an honorarium, to be
>  paid to the Foundation, for providing a speaker.

I think this concept of the Foundation receiving speaker's fees makes a
lot of sense for employees of the foundation, just as it
might for any organization where speakers are being paid by the
organization and the speaking is a part of what their salary covers.
For volunteers, this makes significantly less sense to me.

I have for a very long time now stressed to everyone who invites me to
speak that they are inviting me in my personal capacity.  So this
policy will have no impact on me.  But it could have impact on many others.

However, it could significantly impact our desire to bring more people
to the public eye.  For a volunteer to prepare a talk, travel to do it,
a typical honorarium will be still be pretty poor compensation for the
time away from family, work, etc.

I believe, and my memory might be weak here so someone can correct me,
that this question first came up when David Gerard gave a
talk in the UK, a talk for which there was an honorarium (small)
associated with it.  The small amount of money involved, it seems to me,
quite properly
should go to David for his efforts.  And why not?

--Jimbo