[Foundation-l] new checkuser policy

Essjay essjaywiki at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:22:21 UTC 2006

<snip>
Robert Scott Horning wrote:
I fail to see how comparing two different IP addresses from two users is really all that much more difficult of a technical task.
</snip>

You've quite obviously never used checkuser; there is much more to it than simply comparing IP addresses. You need to be able to recognize dynamic and/or shared IPs, be able to detect and scan open proxies, determine if and how IP ranges shift, identify and interpret the registration attached to the IP address, and quite a bit more. If detecting sockpuppets only required comparing two lists together, it could be done by a script or a trained monkey. Karynn and I are far more than trained monkeys, thank you.

Essjay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org/