[Foundation-l] Re: Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Mon Oct 24 13:07:08 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:
> You are perfectly correct. I would totally oppose an ads for a certain
> american car model on [[car]]•
> Now the question I would ask, in all honesty, is how do you perceive the
> current deal with Answers.com could have an impact on the neutrality of
> our articles ?

It depends on the amount of money we get from Answers. The larger the
percentage of the Foundation's income we receive, the greater the amount
of influence Answers have over us (due to their ability to withhold money).

I can imagine a scenario where a company which is supplying us with
significant resources of some kind can request that we remove an
"unfriendly" link from their Wikipedia entry. If it isn't, or someone
readds it, then we get into a potentially ugly situation.

What is more important - that Wikipedia is online and has POV material
on it, or that it's NPOV but offline due to lack of funds?

I don't know whether Answers will do this. I simply don't trust an
entity which has its sole reason for existence as "deliver maximum
profit to our shareholders" to act in the best interests of the Foundation.

Chris