[Foundation-l] What is de.wikiversity.org?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Mar 16 05:12:59 UTC 2005

I just noticed on User:WiseWoman's user page that a German Wikiversity
has been created at

	http://de.wikiversity.org/

According to the Main Page history, it seems to have been started on
March 2. I see no discussion on this list regarding the creation of this
project. It does reside on our servers, however.

I am aware that there are Wikiversity-endeavors taking place within the
Wikibooks framework. But this is different, it has its own domain name
and is clearly labeled as a separate project. No mention is made of
Wikibooks on the Wikiversity homepage. And it is German-specific -- no
other wikiversity.org wikis exist.

 From what I understand, this may be related to the continuing effort to
get a German government grant for the project. I'm not opposed to
Wikiversity, though it is not yet fully clear to me what the project
should encompass and whether it should happen within Wikibooks, above
it, or in parallel. I would simply like to know:

1) When and why was this wiki set up? Who made the decision?

2) Why was the procedure for launching new projects as established with
Wikinews not followed?

3) What are the future plans for the wiki?

If this is merely meant to be a demonstration prototype and not an
official project of the Wikimedia Foundation, I think that status should
be clearly indicated on the wiki.

Last but not least, a MAJOR issue: all the wikiversity.org language
subdomains have an unprotected "Create wiki" link. If this is meant to
be a German demo only, then we have to disable this link ASAP, or
otherwise people will start building their things there before the
project has been officially approved.

Peace,

Erik