[Foundation-l] Võro Vikipeediä

Sulev Iva juvasul at ut.ee
Mon Jan 31 17:43:52 UTC 2005

Dear members of the foundaton,
I'm a user of Estonian (Võrok) and English Wikipedia (Võrolang) and a native speaker,
researcher and activist of the Võro language spoken in Estonia. Võro (native name Võro
or Võro kiil´) belongs to the Finnic branch of the Finno-Ugric languages. It has about
70.000 speakers mostly in southern Estonia.
Language codes (not yet official) are Vro and Vr. See more about Võro in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Võro and http://www.wi.ee/.

I and my friends would like to begin with Võro language Wikipedia. We can translate
Estonian language file to Võro (actually we have already started) and begin with
creation of new articles. Of course your objection may be that there are too few
speakers of Võro. Yes, but the speakers are quite active and computerized people and
the Võro language community needs an encyclopedia in their own language. I'm sure the
number of potential editors in Võro is not smaller than the Kashoub, Cornish, Gaelic,
Faroese or Saami's or many other small languages' one. I have discussed the idea of
Võro Wikipedia with Estonian Wikipedia developers: Andres, Ker, Klaus etc.
(http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikipeedia:Community_Portal#V.C3.B5rukeelne_Wikipedia).
They are supporting the idea and will help us. I hope you will support us too.
Best regards, Võrolang -- 80.235.61.143 11:33, 28 Jan 2005 (UTC)