[Foundation-l] Re: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Jan 30 03:11:28 UTC 2005

Delphine-

>The least you could have done, Erik, is go fish for those five
>"supporters" and ask them if they were ready to take care of the
>project and all it implies.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Start_a_new_edition

"According to the proposed policy for wikis in new languages
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages>, at
least 5 people have to express an interest in a language edition in
order for it to be created,"

This was the requirement. You had plenty of time to raise objections
against this requirement. You did not. I waited after the creation of
the Dutch Wikinews for objections before creating the other languages.
There were none. Now, as for the French Wikinews, we'll see how it comes
along. It should receive a fair chance as any other Wikimedia project.
Don't give me any rants about the state of the project after 24 hours of
existence.

Whether or not the majority of the people on Wikinews/Vote/Fr voted for
or against the project is irrelevant. The project vote, as it was agreed
by everyone involved, was an aggregated vote. The French Wikimedia
community is part of the larger Wikimedia Foundation, which is an
international organization. That organization has made the decision to
launch the Wikinews project. It was only a matter of time until the
French edition of that project was set up.

Now, if you want to formulate more strict requirements as part of the
policy for new languages, please be my guest and get involved in the
policy discussion on Meta. That is more productive than complaining
about decisions that have been made in accordance with previous
agreements and written policy.

Regards,

Erik