[Foundation-l] Re: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 10:04:21 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:

> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=Pascalv
> Imho, not to be counted.
> Less than 50 edits overall in 6 months.

Has over 50 edits on en as well, but was not counted anyway since he
had no user page linked to from meta.

> Baf
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=Baf
> Will probably not be a very strong participant here given the number of
> recent edits;

165 edits since the start of last month. Is this not enough? How many
edits are people supposed to make before they are allowed to vote for
a Wikinews?

http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=Un%20illustre%20inconnu
> An editor as well, but hardly a participant really

171 edits since the start of last month but was not counted anyway
since no user page linked to.

>  Manu
>
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=Manu
> No participation since october

That's because he's changed username:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=Emmanuel_legrand
75 edits since the start of last month

Was not counted anyway.

> DCLXVI
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=DCLXVI
> Less than 50 edits. Is bulgarian.

Has almost 1500 edits on bg.

> 159753
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=159753
> 2 edits

Also has around 800 edits on en.

> 80.119.68.220
> An ip vote.

Was not counted anyway.

There were also six people who voted in support of Wikinews on the
French voting page but did not list themselves on the new page.

How many edits do users need to have? I'm very surprised you think
that 160 edits in 2 months is not enough. What more do they need
before a Wikinews can be created?

Elian wrote:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Vote/Zh
> Are you sure that this is a good idea? IMO it's questionable if a wiki
> should really be set up if a clear majority voted against the creation
> of wikinews, especially with the concerns raised there.

People were voting for the project as a whole then, not for individual
language versions. Now Wikinews exists, views of whether a new
language should be added may well change.

However, in the case of Chinese, the possibility of this leading to
the Chinese Wikipedia being blocked again ought to be considered
before this is created, despite it having 8 supporters (5 with a user
page).

Angela.