[Foundation-l] Copyright status of press releases

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 28 10:23:21 UTC 2005

Christiaan Briggs wrote:

> Maybe some of you would like to respond to this interesting question,
> are press releases copyrighted?:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:News_release

To quote what I responded there: In strict terms I would see press
releases as covered by copyright, but not the information in them. They
are theoretically issued to inform, but in some cases to spin an air of
truth into misinformation. When you use them as is, and in their words
you are likely helping to propagate their spin. That result is sure to
outweigh their losses arising from copyright infringement. I would be
surprised to see any cases on this.

Ec