[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation : le ver dans le fruit ?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 19:03:14 UTC 2005

--- Traroth <traroth at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Traroth"

Machine translated text:

I posted the following text:  "Wikimedia
Foundation:  the worm in the fruit?  At the
time of the constituent assembly of
association Wikimedia France, it was known
as that Jimmy Wales and Wikimedia
Foundation refused the right to him to use
the marks which she held (Wikimedia,
Wikipedia, Wktionary, Wikibooks...) if
Foundation did not have a right of veto
(the term made debate) on the decisions
that would take the French foundation.
Parrallèlement, during the creation of
Wikimedia Foundation, Jimmy Wales imposed 3
seats out of 5, by reserving the seat of
president, the 2 seats remaining being
provided by election (what led to 4
anglophone members out of 5).  This
sipositif was not to be renewed, and a
really democratic election was to take
place this year (it is what had been known
as at the time).  One learns now that Jimmy
Wales intends to continue with reserver the
seat of president, with probably a right of
veto on the decisions.  Less democratic,
that appears difficult.  The one year shift
was thus only one means of drowning fish.
These manners of making push to be posed a
certain number of questions:  *  For what
are used these foundations?  *  Don't the
givers have a right of glance on the use
which is made money that they gave?  *
Isn't this to mislead people to only make
believe that a foundation takes care of the
interêts of Wikipedia, whereas it is only
about one organization-tail, without real
capacity of decision?  *  Is this step to
mislead people only to give appearances of
the democracy, without being to it less
world?  *  What will make the community if
Jimmy Wales makes decisions opposite with
the opinion of the majority, as it could be
that that is the case on the subject of
publicity (Jimbo never decided clearly
against)?  To answer "Y has that to make a
fork", it is to slap the givers in full
face.  We hear well:  I do not have
anything against Jimbo, and I would have
been the first to be voted for him in 2004,
and this, as a long time as there would
have been ready to remain president.  That
would have been only one formality.  Today,
I would be more circumspect.  Of what it is
afraid exactly?  Certain(e)s answered:
that Board which would precisely make
decisions opposite with the will of the
majority.  In addition to the fact that it
is in complete contradiction with the
concept even of democracy, the current
system does not put to us with the shelter.
Simply, this "privilege" is reserved to
only one person.  Personally, I intended to
rather strongly imply me in the activity of
French association, but now, I am with two
fingers all to send pêter.  That would be
already done if Wikipédia and the other
projects were not in GFDL, which wants to
say that they do not belong to Foundation.
Without hostility, I would like to work
with a collective?uvre, and not with a
species of monument to the glory of Jimmy
Wales, whatever his merits.

END TRANSLATION