[Foundation-l] New project proposal - Wikibuilder

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Sun Jan 23 10:04:42 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>> Wikibuilder's goal is to spread and promote all knowledge of the
>> built environment within the terms of the Wikimedia Foundation. It
>> really doesn't get any clearer.
>
> Built environment? I still haven't heard a good argument on why that
> can not be accomplished within the framework on an existing project.
> I'm not saying that such an argument does not exist, just that it has
> not gained my attention.

Yes but you're conflating two points, which is surprising because in a
previous email you kept them separate. Whether it can be accomplished
elsewhere is one thing, and I've responded to this. Whether it is
compatible with Wikimedia's "ideals", as referred to on [[New project
proposals]], is another.

Wikimedia's goal is the spread and promotion of knowledge.
Wikibuilder's goal is the spread and promotion of knowledge of a large
section of human understanding (relating to our very survival on this
planet). Wikibuilder fits the ideals of Wikimedia, there really is no
denying this.

>> Absolutely, but there's no rush. I'd like to see this proposal
>> develop organically with lots of input from others; there're many
>> things to consider and technological considerations may well delay
>> any decision.
>
> That much we can agree on. :)

Great! :)

Christiaan