[Foundation-l] Re: Concern with performance issues

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Jan 15 15:51:31 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> The issue as I see it, is that we are now asking too much of too few volunteer
> developers and none of them can be on-site at the colo. Thus I think it is the
> time to consider hiring one full time or two of them part time to perform
> server maintenance tasks for us that currently are not done in a timely manor
> (esp the on-site stuff). Our budget is now so big ($US80,000 last quarter) that
> the addition of one or two employees under contract would not be too much of a
> burden. Neither would some up-front relocation money.

We're doing this already, paying the guy who goes by the name "Baylink"
on IRC. More servers would also be nice -- more in every category. We're
having trouble using the hardware we have efficiently due to the lack of
system administrators and developers, but inefficiency can be
compensated for by buying more hardware.

The cheap way to get more hardware is to fix the ~7 machines that are
currently broken and under warranty. Setting up new machines is a
significant time cost to the system administrator team, it would be
better if the existing machines were fixed and put back into service as
soon as possible after breaking. The cluster configuration changes
constantly, if a machine is out of action for long enough, reconfiguring
it to match the rest of the cluster becomes as hard as adding a new machine.

There's not much any of us can do to get machines fixed besides hassle
Jimbo.

I'm told 10 machines were ordered yesterday, that will help. Here are
the details:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hardware_ordered_January_2005

I suspect any difference between the Paris squids and the Florida squids
will disappear when those dual-H/D machines are put into service.
However I don't think it will be long before the apache cluster needs
attention again.

JamesDay is of the opinion that we need two more database slaves worth
$10,000-$15,000 each. I'd add that to a large degree, available database
hardware limits what we can consider implementing in MediaWiki. We
typically live on the breadline, but we can always find a use for more
database hardware.

-- Tim Starling