[Foundation-l] Concern with performance issues

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jan 13 19:50:24 UTC 2005

I think that one of the things we need to be absolutely certain about
is that when we do show an error page, it is not ugly but rather a
direct appeal for more resources to solve the problem.  I am told that
hardware and MediaWiki software are not the problem, but load
balancing, and this takes developer time and resources to figure out.

One thing we might do here is think about how we might apply some
resources to developer/admin recruitment.

Here's the basic argument: traffic can grow very quickly.  Adding new
authors is very easy.  Part of the whole point of a wiki is that new
people can get involved easily.  But growing the number of
developers/admins takes time, because there's a steep learning curve
for people to get involved.  So it might be the case that over time,
this aspect of things lags behind.

And of course when there is too much work for too few people, it isn't
as fun anymore.

When I'm at Fosdem next month, a *big* part of my talk will be
focussed on this: a sales pitch to potential devs to get involved.

--Jimbo