[Foundation-l] donate to Wikimedia Deutschland

Elisabeth Bauer elian at djini.de
Sun Jan 9 18:57:11 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> But that begs the question about what the German association *does* with the
> money donated to it. IIRC about 4000 Euro was donated directly to that
> organization and yet have not seen nor heard about any of that being
> transferred to the Wikimedia Foundation for any purpose (such as buying servers
> or pay for bandwidth). If this is not correct, then please tell me (I'm still
> missing some bank statements, so could have missed it).

We are finding out how to best transfer the donations (i.e. buying
servers directly or sending the money to the foundation) without getting
in trouble with german association law. Henriette, our treasurer, was
busy with organizing the 21C3 lately, so I hope there is some progress
soon. The decision to buy servers has been taken already, the open
question is now how to do this.

Other things we did with the donations:
* Wikimedia Deutschland pays half of the plane tickets for Brion and Tim
to Berlin
* the second big sum is the legal expertise we ordered
(see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Urheberrechtsfragen/Sammlung)
* some promotion material...

My proposal would be that you contact henriette (Henriette.Fiebig (at)
snafu.de) directly and establish ways to transfer the money, maybe
involve also one of the developers to tell us which hardware is needed.

greetings,
elian