[Foundation-l] Forking the Wiki

Scott Nelson scott at penguinstorm.com
Sat Jan 8 17:32:53 UTC 2005

On Jan 8.2005, at 09:09, Paweł 'Ausir' Dembowski wrote:

> The problem is it would be even easier to insert false data in such a
> wiki, as most of it will be impossible to check in sources, and would
> also be higly POV.

Sure, but this goes back to an earlier comment from Robin:

>> I really can not imagine many flame wars occuring for
>> "non-notable" poeple. Everyone has got an opinion on <insert world
>> leader here> or <insert any war here>, but does any one really have
>> strong feelings on bob black who died on 11/09?

Mistakes can creep into the most rigorously edited documents; even
encyclopaedias. Read "The Know it All" for some details about a few in
the Britannica (a good book too.)

How sensitive these mistakes are is proportionate to how often the
information is read. A mistake in an entry about Helmut Kohl could be a
serious problem, leading decades of school chidren astray. A mistake in
an entry about Scott Nelson isn't likely to have much of an impact on
anybody.

There's nothing wrong with POV; the Wiki's goal of a neutral POV is a
valiant, but flawed, quest. That it will never be perfectly neutral
doesn't invalidate the attempt to achieve such a thing.

So these entries would have a POV, as they should.