[Foundation-l] Proposal for Wikikids

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jan 3 19:31:13 UTC 2005

Achim Raschka wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to start a new Wikiproject called Wikikids. After a starting
> phase it should be a Wikipedia from children for children. The
> following proposal I posted at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids
> an http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects#Wikikids
> but there seems to be no reaction. It would be great if we can discuss
> this at the projects discussion page at Meta.
>
> Wikikids should be a Wikipedia-version for children aged between eight
> an sixteen years. After a starting phase when adults will construct
> the Wiki together with children it should be a Wikipedia from children
> for children. The idea is to have articles in a simple language
> without much scientific words and other stuff. The themes should be
> specific for children´s interests.
>
> As a new project Wikikids will have the same starting problems any
> other project has too. It is thought, that Wikikids will be a
> Wikipedia in the full control of kids between 8 and 16 years old and
> also the sysos of this project will be children too. At the starting
> phase there will be some adults to help constructing the Wiki and get
> a start in writing the articles, but that should be as long as there
> are enough children to take control. From that time on, adults will be
> allowed to write articles inbetween the rules of Wikikids (first of
> all: simple language), but they will be users like any others under
> the control of children administration.
>
> Problems
>
> There are some problems to be discussed, but I think, it will be
> possible to handle them. For example there should be the problems of
>    * what is an encyclopedia, what kind of aricles should be find in
> an encyclopedia?
>    * how about the copyrights of articles and pictures?
>    * ...

One major problem that is not mentioned, is how do you know when someone
is between 8 and 16 years old, except when they tell you.  I am long
past 16, but what's to prevent me from saying that I qualify.  How can
this be reconciled with the right to edit anonymously, which is one of
the important features of a wiki.

Ec