[Foundation-l] Forking the Wiki

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Jan 2 21:31:27 UTC 2005

Fred Bauder wrote:

>It could include victims of the Holocaust, Viet Nam War dead, Civil War
>dead, etc.
>
>But would enough people actually work on it?
>
>Fred
>

>>From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
>>Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:01:13 -0800 (PST)
>>Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Forking the Wiki
>>
>>--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>>

>>>For sep11, well, yes, it's not so great and it was a weak compromise
>>>and we should do something about it.
>>>

>>Sep11wiki suffers from being too focused on one event. What we need is to have
>>a general memorial wiki that would have Sep11 as just one of many internal
>>WikiProjects. Such a project could also serve as a genealogy wiki (aka
>>Wikipeople).

There are some other events that will certainly qualify as something
that needs memoralizing and can be done in a similar fashion.  From what
I understand, there are entire villages that no longer exist due to the
Tsumai that hit the Indian Ocean, and I think they deserve more than a
mere mention somewhere.  For an event that from some estimates I've
heard will have killed close to a half a million people, it certainly
deserves some sort of treatment beyond a simple wikipedia entry.  I
wonder how many wikipedians are in or close to the affected areas?

Other events of similar nature, such as the loss of the Shuttle
Columbia, Tianamin Square, or the Columbine Massacre come to mind as
other candidates.  Each of these generated quite a bit of news coverage,
and even spawned numerous web pages covering each of these events.  I
for one support such a memorial wiki, especially if it provides a forum
for victims or familes of victims to express what these events meant to
them, as well as how such an event has changed your life.

--
Robert Scott Horning