[Foundation-l] Forking the Wiki

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 18:57:29 UTC 2005

--- Sj <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Being separate from -- in the sense of having its own policies,
> community discussion areas, and goals -- does not necessarily require
> having a separate wiki.

But being different types of reference works does. Wikipedia is an
encyclopedia, Wikibooks is a collection of textbooks/manuals, Wiktionary is a
translating dictionary and thesaurus. Each has its own unique way of presenting
information to the reader (Wikibooks instructs, Wikipedia informs, Wikisource
regurgitates) and each has very different concepts about what goes onto a page
and linking (very few internal links in Wikibooks and Wikisource, for example).

The separation is both necessary and desirable. The only issue I see is the
abiltiy to link user accounts across wikis and maybe have the option of having
combined recent changes and watchlists.

-- mav