[Foundation-l] Conflict resolution on meta Wikimedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 16:36:19 UTC 2005

Hoi,
The article [[meta:End-user content suppression]] was recently renamed
to [[meta:End-user image suppression]]. It is an article that descibes
how we should tag our content eh images so that people can choose to
have content presented to them or not. The proposers of this idea assume
that mechanism for censorship will only be triggered by individuals and,
that it is to prevent them from coming across content they may find
disturbing. They fail to answer several questions:
* Who is going to add these tags
* What is the basis for tagging content. What to be done when someone
comes along who wants even more tagging or the tagging of different
categories.
* How do you prevent organisations or countries from censoring our
content using our own mechanism
* How do you ensure that the integrity of our NPOV content is maintained
if people will not see the whole of our content
* What argument do you have against tagging content if you state that
this is only about images

In the article that is now called [[meta:End-user image suppression]] I
have added a tag to say that the subject is controversial and, the
reasons why it is controversial. This is not appreciated and resulted in
a slash and burn reaction. Apparantly you are not allowed to say that
"when it walks like a duck an it talks like a duck, it must be a duck".
I am afraid that censorship is alive and well.

The proposers of this policy say that it is only technical. I beg to
differ. Censure is what I do not want for our content.

Thanks,
    GerardM