[Foundation-l] Day 4 Fund Drive Report

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 08:05:52 UTC 2005

On Day 4 (Monday 21 February eastern US timezone since PayPal data are not
available in UTC) we made $6,586.15 (USD equivalent) through PayPal (no updates
available for other sources at this time). This is a decrease of 16.44% from
Day 3 but still does represent 18.34% of total funds collected so far
($35,904.88 ; only counting full days) and 8.78% of our goal ($75,000).

Remarkably, the rate of donations were not too adversely affected by the
downtime today. Since the donation forms were not available during a large part
of the downtime, I can only guess that people remembered our PayPal account
name.

Donations did significantly increase soon after a Slashdot story about the
downtime was released (9:28PM, EST), forcing us to move the backup donation
page once the Slashdot Effect brought down the website hosting it
(http://wikisearch.org ; Sorry about that Angela).

Day  4			Day  3 comparison
Breakdown:
PayPal		USD equiv	USD equiv	%change
AUD	32	   $25.30         $330.90        -92.36%
CAD 	785	  $636.09         $238.93        166.23%
EUR 	1489.63	$1,947.24	$2,755.66  	 -29.34%
GBP 	332.06	  $630.18         $696.89         -9.57%
JPY	8501	   $80.58         $198.96         59.50%
USD	3266.76	$3,266.76	$3,596.33	  -9.16%
PayPal total:   $6,586.15	$7,817.66	 -15.75%

MoneyBookers
		                   $64.00	-100.00%

	TOTAL	$6,586.15	$7,881.66	-16.44%

Grand totals so far (only counting complete days)

PayPal		USD equiv	%GrandTotal
AUD	1150.4	     $909.39	 2.53%
CAD 	1571.01	   $1,272.99	 3.55%
EUR 	9926.89	  $12,976.44	36.14%
GBP 	1952.46	   $3,705.39	10.32%
JPY	82302.58     $780.15	 2.17%
USD	15833.85  $15,833.85	44.10%
PayPal total:	  $35,478.19

Moneybookers:
		     $426.69     1.19%

GRAND TOTAL	  $35,904.88	100.00%

% toward goal 	      47.87%

For the most recent grand total and other details visit
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fund_drives/2005/Q1
(once everything is back up)

Some selected comments from Day 4:
See http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fund_drives/2005/Q1/Day_4 in about a
day (hopefully I'll be able to post by then)

"I love this site. Keep up the awesome work!" by Anonymous

"I use Wiki - I have to pay for it !" by Immo Wetzel

"You have aided me countless times in my academic pursuits in math, science,
and the humanities. I can't thank you guys enough." by Laura Napolitano

"Wiki is the future!" by Christoph Burschka

"Wikipedia is in my opinion one of the most noble collective human endeavours
underway in the world today. Thank you so much for contributing to society with
your wonderful website. I love it and abide" by Matthew Barba

"Wikimedia Rocks!" by Jasmeet Singh

"I have always had a thirst for knowledge, and this project does more than
quench it. I am happy to donate." by Matthew Gluesenkamp

"Cheaper than cable" by Anonymous

Some of my favorites:

"Spread your Squids around the world. And use cached pages for logged in users
as well. Fix those and I'll be happy as a [[clam]]. Good job so far!!!" by Rami
Lehti

"A small price to pay for a project like this. But get a move on with all those
ambitious plans for paper versions. Most of the world doesn't have computers."
by Anonymous

"The Wikimedia Foundations is an acheivement of great proportions spreading the
one firm truth that information is truly free. Thank you." by Siddharth
Bhansali

"Help preserve the sum total of human knowledge for less than the price of two
Caramel Frappuccinos. Wikipedia is not only fat-free and carbohydrate-free, it
will never go straight to your hips!" by Jonet Greene

"Give Wiki a boost!!" by Kiminori Noma

Daniel Mayer,
Wikimedia CFO